Saturday, April 10, 2010

Now leaving my comfort zone.



Interesting things have been happening with my doodling. Ever since this internship, I've been forced to step out of my comfort zone with a lot of drawing, and I never used to give anatomy and geometry much thought. Lately, however, I've been picking up slight details in drawing that I'd never noticed before, and I'm not sure if it's showing in my doodling or not, but sometimes it feels different when I draw stuff. If anything, it's been taking longer haha

I've been trying to pay attention to the lines of action (whoa basics coming back to haunt me) and the flow of lines... I've found myself drawing characters and trying to see how long I can make a line until I have to break it, which is producing some interesting results. Not going to lie, I probably picked this up from this troublemaker, since she draws with a lot of geometry and makes her lines really count... because there are so few of them. Sometimes she doesn't even use lines because she's a TROUBLEMAKER.

Also, ever since I did those lame (or so I thought) figure drawings a few weeks back, I've been thinking more about planes and how shit fits together. I also blame this on Justin, because I also have to deal with him at work (jk, J.K. ((see what I did there))), and he always manages to show dimension with his drawing, which is impressive because he also uses very vew lines.

... I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence I referenced the two people I spend prolonged hours with during the week. D'aww you guys.

Anyone need a place to live in Boston this summer? FML

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

OMG I'M VERKLEMPT!

love all these, esp the dude in the top right :)

jemanjiman said...

aww you're too kind! I've said it before but I've learned (and stolen probably) ALOT from both you and Katelyn when it comes to drawing. I'm with Katelyn on this as well, these are all looking great! That tiger is wonderful haha.

KEEP ROCKIN IT OUT!